K-1 Fiancé Visas

The K-1 Fiancé Visa allows a U.S. Citizen to bring his or her fiancé to the U.S. to marry within 90 days. Once married, the K-1 applicant can apply for his or her green card.

K-1 Visa Requirements

For your fiancé to qualify for a K-1 visa, you must show:

  • You are a U.S. Citizen.
  • You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé entering the U.S.
  • You and your fiancé are both legally free to marry.
  • You met in person, within the 2 year period, before applying.

There are two exceptions to the meeting requirement that require a waiver:

  • If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé’s foreign culture or social practice.
  • If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.
In addition, children under 21 of a K-1 applicant, may qualify for a K-2 visa. The child must apply for the K-2 visa within one year of the primary K-1 applicant.

Application Process

The process begins with the U.S. Citizen filing a petition with USCIS. Once approved, your fiancé will apply for his or her K-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad. You must then marry within 90 days of your fiancé's entry into the U.S. After getting married, your spouse can apply for a green card.